Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gobbler Grind Marathon Complete

Ben here, logged in from the Kansas City airport.

It was a pretty good day today. I measured my chip time at 4:08:30. It might be a bit faster than that, but not by much. Here's a few quick bits of info:

1) I have never carried more stuff with me for a marathon than I did today. I was holding the following:
  • Two Clif bars
  • Four packets of GU (energy gel)
  • A cell phone (for calling family)
  • A small digital camera (for taking video while running -- yeah, it's a bit shaky :)
  • Three paper towels (for mid-race nose blowing)
  • The key to the rental car (no other place to put it)
2) My only mistake was to try eating a second Clif bar on the run, which I have never done before. I was hoping it would give me an extra burst of energy in the second half, but it only caused me to cramp up a little. Thankfully, I was able to drink some extra fluids and keep that mistake from totally screwing up the second half.

That's all for now. More details, pictures and video coverage as soon as I have some free time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds pretty fast for a “slow” marathon. Congratulations!

And where did you put all that stuff while you were running? Were you holding all that stuff by hand?

Jerry said...

congrats on #12 benj!!