Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Pleasant Prairie Family Days 5K

It was a bit chilly for August 1 in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. But it was definitely comfortable for running. Jenelle and I arrived at the race site a little after 7:30, giving me almost an hour to warm up and get ready. We met up with several friends who were also running the race. Janet, who ran her first 5K in St. Germain on June 28, was looking to improve her personal best. Janet's neighbor and babysitter, Kelci, ran alongside her. Mary and Maryke, members of our weekly young couples gathering, also came out to run. To add to the fun, Jenelle signed up! Quite a party.

The course was basically a lap around Lake Andrea, with a bit extra to get the total distance up to 5K. We started at 8:30, heading west on a paved road for about a quarter mile before making a U-turn onto the trail right alongside the lake. As I made my way back east, I waved to Mary, Maryke, Janet, Kelci, Jenelle, and Mary's husband Steve (who was waiting at the finish). With a significant wind predominantly out of the west, I felt great, finishing the first mile in 6:44. Mile 2 took me north and eventually to the west, continuing along the lake path. The winds were now against me. I told myself to stay strong. The sooner I made it around the lake, the sooner the winds would be at my back. I reached the halfway point in about 10:36 -- just a little behind my goal pace (finishing in 21:00). My split for mile 2 was 6:58.

The first half of mile 3 was still against the wind. I tried to keep up the pace while at the same time saving some for the last quarter mile. There were two runners in front of me that I hoped to catch along the final straightaway, and nobody was close behind me. As soon as I made the last turn and had the wind at my back, I turned it on as best I could. I finished mile 3 in 6:45.

I was flying to the finish. I successfully passed one of the runners. I glanced at the clock as I reached the finish. No sub-21 time, but another personal record peformance -- 21:05. I covered the last .11 miles in 37 seconds, corresponding to a pace of about 5:22/mile. I wish I could run that fast the entire race!

After taking a short break and downing three cups of water, I walked/jogged back to Jenelle, cheering all my friends on as I passed each of them. I smiled and laughed as other runners informed me that I was running the wrong way. I sooned reached Jenelle, and I accompanied her for a mile or so, stepping to the side as she sprinted for the finish. It was her first 5K, and thus a personal best. Way to go, Jenelle!

I managed 13th overall and 3rd in my age group. Maryke and Kelci also won age group awards. Janet ran a new personal record, and Mary may have done so as well (I'll check on that). So, a wonderful day. Congrats to everyone!
Kelci (33:21), Janet (33:23), Mary (31:36), Jenelle (41:31), Ben (21:05), Maryke (31:41)

No comments: