Sunday, February 19, 2006

Not-so-chilly 10K - PR!

The weather was VERY cold on the scheduled date of Ben's Chilly 10K. Even colder than expected -- temperatures never got above single digits, and the wind chill was always below zero. So, what did I do? I moved the 10K inside to a treadmill. I finished in 48:27, which is about 7:48 / mile. I think I still had some energy left at the end, so I may try another 10K race sometime before Big Lake in May.

On a related note, here's some of my thoughts on treadmills:
1) I always set the grade at 1.0% to offset the fact that there's no wind resistance when running "in place".
2) I think it's okay to use the railings for balance checks -- however, leaning on them because of fatigue is a sign that the pace is too fast.
3) The treadmills at work and the work fitness center are very high quality -- I always feel very comfortable on them. Hotel treadmills are okay, but I can't help but get a little nervous when I speed it up and that motor starts making a lot of noise.
4) Ever heard of a fitness equipment store called "2nd Wind"? Based on its name, I figured it would sell high-quality fitness center machines that are used but not used up. Nope -- the equipment's all new, so don't expect to go in there for a good deal on a premium machine.

That's all for now -- next race is probably the Blarney 5K in March! Let me know if you'll be there. :)

No comments: