After finishing in under 85 minutes last year, I trained for this year's Lighthouse Run hoping to finish in about 80 minutes (which translates to 8-minute miles, of course). However, the weather did not cooperate on race day. The temperature was already above 80 degrees at the start of the race, so staying hydrated was a constant challenge.
I ran the first part of the race with Ken, a friend and fellow SCJ employee. We were pacing at 7:30 a mile (possibly even faster) -- I soon realized that I would not be able to keep up with him. I slowed down by the water stop at four-mile mark for a quick break, and that would be the last time I was running alongside him.
I took several more walking breaks at various points in the second half of the race (more than I wanted to), but I still managed to finish strong. I didn't have anyone to chase in the final 200 meters, but I had a few people trying to catch me. I used up the last of my energy holding off the chasers, and I finished in 1:25:05. This is about 16 seconds SLOWER than last year. However, I finished in 327th place last year, and I finished in 182nd place this year. That's a decent improvement.
Overall, it was a good race, and it was a great learning experience. I'm not sure if I'll do any more races this summer, but I'll probably be in the Portland Marathon on October 1.
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment