Saturday, March 15, 2008

Longest Training Run Ever

Summing up the previous week:

Monday: An easy 4 miles and some strength training. I could tell my body was still feeling it a bit from the 20-miler on Sunday.
Tuesday: About 9.3 miles outside. It wasn't too cold, and I found some well-plowed roads.
Wednesday: 5.7 hamster miles.
Thursday: It warmed up considerably, so I ran outside at lunchtime. I felt great, so I managed 5.4 miles at 7:40 pace. My heart rate was near 170, but I wasn't overly fatigued afterward. I also did some strength training in the evening.
Friday: Rest. Glorious rest. Though I did walk about a mile with Jenelle because it was so nice out.

Today:

I got up around 5:30 and ventured north on the Kenosha County Bike Trail, which looked like it was passable when I drove by it yesterday evening. I soon realized that several parts of it still had snow/ice on them, so the going was slow. There was one part where I was literally walking on thin ice, with a pool of water a few inches deep below the surface. Thankfully, I kept my shoes from getting wet.

Shortly after 7:00 a.m., I met up with several people from the Racine Running Group, who get together every Saturday morning around 7. Many of them are in training for a marathon in early May. After completing their route (which today was the "cemetery route"), I thanked them for the company and ventured back south. I was smart and took roads instead of the bike trail on the way home, so I had no trouble cruising back home.

Overall, I managed 24 miles in under 3:48, averaging 9:28 pace and an average heart rate of 147 bpm. Considering the lousy footing in the early miles, I am very pleased with this run. This is the longest training run I have ever done.

Now, the tapering period begins. I'll ease back slightly on the mileage in the coming week, and make a more pronounced reduction in the two following weeks to get myself ready for a strong showing at the Chicago 50K. Onward!

Miles this month: 132
Miles this year: 487
Lifetime miles: 5382

1 comment:

Jerry said...

nice work ben. the hay is in the barn. kick back and relax. 50K will be no problem. be the ball.