Saturday, May 22, 2010

High Five

This morning's twelve mile run was more interesting than most. The weather was a comfortable 60 degrees and partly cloudy. I started at about 9 a.m., heading east. I had a great mix of tunes on my iPod shuffle, including a catchy kids' song called "Five Senses" by Hi-5. I first heard that song when one of my nieces, Ella, was singing along with it in the car on the way to a 5K I ran in Minnesota three years ago.

I passed by Mark & Heather's house, waving to Mark and his oldest son, Caleb. I turned south. At the corner of 35th St. and 19th Ave., on the ground right by the curb, I saw a five dollar bill. There was no one outside within earshot. I ran a loop around neighboring blocks just in case there was a trail to be followed. I found plenty of empty soda/beer cans and discarded food containers, but no more cash.

I went passed Rachel & Jeremy's house, and then by Janet & Jamie's place. I had a brief chat with Jamie, who was having a relaxing Saturday morning. I appreciated the break, as I had been going six miles under 9:00 pace, and six more to go.

I ventured west and then north, passing by Steve & Mary's as well as Rich & Maryke's. There were quite a few rummage sales in their neighborhoods. I thought about stopping at one and spending my five bucks, but nothing caught my eye.

I made it back home before 11 a.m., logging 12 miles in 1:49:30, which is about 9:10 pace. One other interesting item of note -- on three separate occasions, I saw someone walking with a gas can. Either a bunch of Kenosha residents let their tanks get too low, or they are just getting some fresh air while purchasing gas for their lawn mowers.

In any case, I will always be joyful and thankful that I can visit several of my friends in one morning without spending a dime on gas. And once in a while, I'll come out ahead.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Five dollars! Yes!