
Weather is always a question mark at the Lighthouse Run. When I first ran it in 2005, the conditions were pretty good, and I set a then-personal best of 1:24:49. The following year's run, in 2006, featured 80+ degree temps at the start and significant humidity. Though I was in much better shape, I was a tiny bit slower, finishing in 1:25:05. In 2007, it was still warm, but not as bad as in 2006, and I set another personal best (1:22:59) with the help of my friend Mark. Mark was alongside me again in 2008 when overcast skies and temps in the 60s brought me to the line in 1:19:20 -- my best 10-mile run ever.
Until today.
I skipped the Lighthouse Run in 2009 and 2010, but I was back in action for the 2011 edition. Rain was in the forecast, but it turned out to be a sunny but cool day, with temps in the low-to-mid 60s at the start.
My tentative plan was to run each mile in 7:54 or less to ensure a finish under 79 minutes. The wind was in my face at the start, but that was a good sign, as it would be at my back for the finish.
Mile 1 (7:21) -- Too fast! I guess the excitement of a beautiful day got my adrenaline going. I waved to Jenelle, Eliana, Grandma Iz, and my parents as I ran by.
Mile 2 (7:37) -- My pace was still a little bit quick, but I felt great as I made my way through the zoo.
Mile 3 (7:42) -- My heart rate settled into the 160s as I zoomed north on main street. It was a bit strange, but I felt perfectly comfortable running at less than 8:00/mile into the wind.
Mile 4 (7:45) -- At this point, I adjusted my goal a little bit. I felt so relaxed that I was pretty sure I could average 7:42 for the duration of the race, which would be a finish under 77 minutes. Given that I was a bit quicker than that for the first two miles, I attempted to run each mile at 7:45 or better.
Mile 5 (7:42) -- Thanks, Aunt Sue, for the bottle of water! It's become a Lighthouse Run tradition for my aunt, who lives on Valley Trail, to greet me at the 4.5-mile mark with a bottle of water. I actually enjoy carrying a half-liter bottle (with the cap), because I can more easily ration my water intake. I was now heading east on 4 Mile Road.
Mile 6 (7:39) -- The road turned south and became Lighthouse Drive. How appropriate. I tried to keep things as relaxed as possible for a potential charge in the last mile or so.
Mile 7 (7:39) -- With the wind at the back of the runners, several folks passed me, but I kept things steady in the hopes of passing the same people later on. I gulped down a raspberry Accel Gel as the course meandered west on 3 Mile Road.
Mile 8 (7:39) -- The course turned south, and we were back on Main Street, which would take us all the way to finish. In my last four races, I've had some energy left at the finish, which means that I paced myself too conservatively. As I neared the eight-mile mark, I decided to leave as much out on the course as I could. I finished my water bottle and dropped the hammer.
Mile 9 (6:59) -- Let's fly! My heart rate jumped back into the 170s as I passed runners one by one. On the left side of the street, the people participating in the fun run/walk seemed like they were standing still. A few of them recognized me and shouted my name, so I smiled, looked back, and waved at them. I was a tiny bit thirsty, so I grabbed one more cup of water at the last aid station.
Mile 10 (6:36) -- I kept it going, and then some, despite some slight inclines in the final mile. About a quarter mile from the finish, I passed a large group of runners that was clumped together. I had a feeling that one or more of them would have a strong finishing kick and challenge my position, but I was in the clear down the final stretch.
Finish -- I saw my parents, Jenelle, and Eliana, who were all smiles, knowing that I had achieved my goal. I was thrilled to see the clock below 75 minutes as I crossed the line. My clock time was 1:14:51, and my chip time was 1:14:39, good enough for 138th place out of 831 runners.
Other interesting notes:
- I donned my Saucony Fastwitch 3 shoes, which are 40% lighter than my other running shoes, for an extra edge. I usually don't wear my "racing" shoes for races above 10K, as they are tougher on my feet. However, I felt okay after a 10-mile training run in them, so I gave them a try today.
- My average heart rate was 168 bpm. During the final mile, my heart rate averaged 182 bpm with a maximum of 192 bpm. Exhilarating.
- I estimated that I completed the first 10K of the course in 47:27, which is about the same as my 10K personal best (47:28) from last Thanksgiving.
- I covered the final mile in 6:36. If I ran a 5K at this pace, I would finish in 20:32, which would be a new personal best.
- Congrats to my friend Paul, who finished his first 10-mile race ever in 1:47:50. He has pressed on in his efforts to become a stronger runner in the past several months. I'm impressed by his commitment and dedication. He will be running the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon this fall, and I wish him all the best.
- I always run this race as a member of the SC Johnson "SCJ Off! and Running" team. Only the first four finishers of the team are counted in the final score. Usually, my score is nowhere near the top four, but this time, I was fifth.
- After the race, I took a shower at my grandparents' condo, as they live a short distance from the start/finish. After the shower, I realized that I forgot to put my boxers in my running bag along with my change of clothing. I can't remember the last time I went commando. To borrow a quote from Seinfeld's Kramer, I was "out there and loving every minute of it" while completing some errands after the race. :)
1 comment:
Nice work, Ben! You’re flirting with Boston qualifying pace there.
Post a Comment