Sunday, June 03, 2012

Minneapolis: Quick Thoughts

It was a great race for me today. The results page has me finishing in 3:37:45, which is my clock (gun) time. It appears that the mat at the start line did not detect my chip when I stepped on it, but I'm estimating my chip time at 3:37:31. The results also say that I finished 129th out of 891 marathoners. This seems odd because I thought there were over 2000 marathon runners signed up. Maybe the race officials will work in the next few days to clean up the results.

Anyway, I ran pretty well, staying energized with one pack of sport beans and six energy gels, and staying hydrated with water, Powerade, and Accelerade. I needed to drink quite a bit as temperatures went into the 70s in the final hour. The heat certainly had an effect on me; my running speed remained around 8:00-8:15 a mile, but I had to take more walk breaks in the last 4-5 miles.

A big thanks to my brother, Andrew, who got video of me at the start, finish, and at least three other places. Thanks also to the rest of my family (Jenelle, Eliana, Holly, Ella, Lily, and Kellan) who were cheering me on at mile 25. Their smiling faces and loud cheers gave me the energy to finish strong.

No comments: