In preparation for this Sunday's Rock N' Roll Arizona Marathon, I ventured to the local Pick N' Save and bought two 20 ounce bottles of Accelerade, a fairly new sports drink. What makes this drink unique is that one serving of it has the same amount of protein as half a glass of milk. The cost was a bit steep - $1.99 a bottle. However, the peach mango flavor will be served at rest stops in Arizona, so I have to make sure I can drink it without any strange things happening.
There are allergen warnings on the bottle, because the protein in Accelerade is derived from milk. Lactose-intolerant runners beware! As for the taste, it's not too bad, but there's definitely a milky aftertaste -- it coats your throat a bit like milk does going down. I don't think it'll be a big deal once I get used to it.
Yesterday morning, I poured about eight ounces of it into a clear squeeze bottle and headed out for an eight mile run. Even though it's pretty warm for January (above 40 degrees), prior experience told me that I wouldn't need to drink too many fluids. By the time I had finished a mile, I noticed that froth (bubbles) had built up in the empty space of the bottle because of the constant up-and-down motion of the bottle. By the end of the run, the froth filled up the whole bottle, even though there was only about two ounces of drink left.
Accelerate on, my friends!
Monday, January 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment