Tuesday, October 30, 2007

PR in Grand Rapids!

On Saturday, October 27, Jenelle and I checked in to the Residence Inn Marriott in Grandville, which is about 15 minutes away from Grand Rapids. On our way to the YMCA to pick up my packet, Jenelle and I noticed a black Prius parked next to our silver one. You can't tell from the picture, but the sticker on the fuel tank cover says "Marathon Freak". It appears that there is a Prius driver with more enthusiasm for marathons than me. :)

I had no problems getting my race packet and a maroon long-sleeve running shirt. The pasta dinner was also very nice. It was still somewhat early in the evening, so we checked out River Town Crossings mall, which was just across from the hotel. I don't remember exactly when we went to bed, but I got more than enough sleep to prepare for the race.

It was a frosty Sunday morning. In addition to the "standard" race uniform, I added several items to keep warm, including two jackets, two layers of gloves, and a moisture-wicking winter hat. We arrived at the race site just before 7. I watched the early start, and then we went in to the YMCA to warm up for just a bit.

Just before entering the starting corral, I handed off one of my jackets and one pair of gloves to Jenelle. I had my race number snapped in my black & white singlet. With the temperature still in the mid 30s, I affixed a "fake" race number to my jacket, knowing that I might keep it on for a large part of the race. In my pockets, I carried four packets of GU and a Clif Bar. I also carried a half-liter bottle of water with me.

The race started right on time, and I was off! My somewhat aggressive goal pace was 8:45 / mile, which would get me to the line in about 3:50. With my muscles still warming up, I took it easy the first mile (9:08) and gradually sped up to race pace. After five miles, I was averaging 8:51/mile.

I ate my Clif Bar little by little as I cruised through Millenium Park. I don't pay much attention to the scenery at most races, but there were some great views, especially along the Grand River. I crossed the bike bridge at mile 8.5 feeling pretty good, though I may have overhyrdrated just a tiny bit. No problem -- I made a quick pit stop just around mile 9 -- no waiting at the portable restrooms. After ten miles, I was averaging 8:48/mile.

Let the gel-ing begin! At mile 11, I took my first GU shot with the last bit of water in my bottle. For the remainder of the race, I alternated water / water + GU at the aid stations, which means I took more GU at miles 13, 16, 19, and 22. One Clif Bar and five gels seems to be a good strategy for me. By the way, they were handing out GU at several places, so I still had a few packets left after the race. GU is my favorite gel -- I think it goes down easier than hammer gel or clif shots, but it's all personal preference.

Okay, back to the race. After 16 miles, I was averaging 8:46/mile, right on track! We went by the Wyoming Clean Water Plant, which did not have the most pleasant aroma. It reminded me of the "Recycle Transfer Station" behind Animal Kingdom during the Disney Marathon. Anyway, I kept up the pace for the next few miles, but I could tell that I was getting tired.

I saw Jenelle several times during the race. She always cheered and took photos and/or video when I went by. It can be very tiring to drive around trying to encourage runners on as much as possible, so I'm very thankful for her support. As I waved to her at mile 19, she said, "See you at the finish!" I gave the thumbs up and continued on my way. After 20 miles, my pace had slipped just a bit to an average of 8:48/mile, but I thought I could keep it together for another 10K.

At mile 23, I took my hat off, put it in my jacket pocket, and then took off my jacket as well. I didn't have anywhere to drop it, but I was fine carrying it with me. A half mile later, I turned a corner and felt a pretty cold headwind, so I put the jacket back on! I ended up wearing the jacket all the way to the finish, so my "official" race number was only visible for a short time. Oh, well.

My mile splits for miles 21-26 were all nine minutes or more. I was not going to average 8:45 for the race, but I could probably still set a PR. During the final mile, I kept saying to myself, "Don't you dare stop now. Don't you DARE stop now." I slowed down a bit. "DON'T YOU DARE STOP NOW!" I tried to speed up and finish the last half mile. I saw Jenelle with about 500 feet to go, and she gave me the energy I needed to finish. I didn't have much of a finishing kick, but I ran steady and crossed the line with my arms up in victory!

I finished with a chip time of 3:53:20, about a minute faster than my previous personal best of 3:54:26 (set in May in Madison, WI). Overall, it was a great race. The course was very nice (mostly flat), and it never felt too crowded. I also liked the finisher's medal. I'd recommend this one -- while there's not a whole lot of spectators at some points on the course, there's plenty of aid stations and great runner support overall.

Post Race Meals / Recovery: Jenelle and I went to Red Robin for lunch after the race, where I had the Chicken Parmigiano Pasta. I also had about 75% of a 16" pan pizza for dinner on Monday the 29th. I was able to run three miles at about 10-minute pace on Tuesday morning, so I'm already thinking about my next race!

Details:
Miles 1-59:088:459:088:248:48
Miles 6-108:348:418:558:558:41
Miles 11-158:508:468:288:528:51
Miles 16-208:378:478:469:018:59
Miles 21-259:059:119:019:279:27
Miles 26-End9:251:48
  • Average Pace: 8:54/mile
  • First half: 1:55:12    Second half: 1:58:08
  • Fastest Mile: #4 (8:24) Slowest Mile: #23/#24 (9:27)
  • Some minor slow-down issues in the last six miles, but it was still a wonderful race!

2 comments:

Jerry said...

congrats on the PR and logging marathon #11. i think you're going to see your times improve even more in the future since you've got your fueling strategy down.

be the ball benj

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I shall let you know how my upcoming weekend plays out.